Triumph on the tennis court

Freshman TJ Shanahan competes in tennis 5A state tournament. Shanahan won the quarterfinals match against Claremore. Photo credit to James Bourne.

Kate Menz

Singles player TJ Shanahan finished his first year of high school tennis winning second in the singles 5A state tennis tournament.

“I feel pretty good placing second as a freshman. I feel it is a big deal,” Shanahan said. “Obviously I’m disappointed that I didn’t place first, but I have three more years to improve my game and attempt to get a state title or state titles.”

The boys placed fifth overall with Shanahan, a freshman, placing second after fighting off older and more experienced players throughout the tournament. 

“I see him potentially winning state in the next three years,” Coach David Gilpin said.

Doubles players Matthew Dell’Osso, a sophmore, and Carl Amaya, a freshman, finished third after triumphing over Ada who had previously beat them at regionals.

“I was so proud of those guys,” Gilpin said. “They played so well and fought so hard and didn’t even give them an inch.” 

The girls placed 10th overall with singles player Olivia LaForge, a senior, taking sixth place. LaForge placed eighth in state her freshman year, which gave her some good experience for what to expect out of state. 

Doubles players Lauren Potter, a sophomore, and Juli Abbott, a freshman, took seventh, being one of the younger teams in the tournament.

“With them being so young, here in a couple of years they could be standing on the podium,” Gilpin said.

Overall, the team did well at state and will be in good shape for next year.

“The future’s bright for McGuinness tennis, and I’m looking for the girls to improve next year and the boys to have the potential to place in the top three,” Gilpin said.