Girls soccer wins big on senior night

Left+to+Right%3A+Kaitlyn+Bishop%2C+Sophia+Birks%2C+Grace+Thielke%2C+Julianne+Bentley%2C+Madeline+Neff%2C+Ayden+Barringer%2C+Sam+Guzman%2C+Kira+Jones.+

Left to Right: Kaitlyn Bishop, Sophia Birks, Grace Thielke, Julianne Bentley, Madeline Neff, Ayden Barringer, Sam Guzman, Kira Jones.

Kate Fletcher, Staff Writer

Seven seniors played on senior night, all of whom started and were on the field when the last goal was scored leading to a decisive 10-0 victory over Putnam City Tuesday, March 30. 

The run-rule victory was exactly what the Irish had hoped and prepared for. 

“I think finally scoring the last goal to run-rule the other team, which basically means the game stops when you hit 10 goals, was a very proud moment for us,” sophomore Blayne Schwarz said. “It was obviously senior night, so our many goals and top-level playing style perfectly encapsulates our senior group.” 

The team approached this game with a great amount of poise, much like they had approached their previous seven games of the season.

“Being a senior, I plan to approach this season with not only confidence and determination, but I would also like to be a fun teammate that people can look up to and feel comfortable around,” senior Julianne Bentley said. 

A win of that caliber does not just happen. It takes hard work, preparation and a strong game plan, which is exactly what the team focused on in practices leading up to the game. 

“We focused at practice and made sure to hold each other accountable for our work rate,” sophomore Kathryn Hadrava said. “The plan was to relax, play as a team, and move the ball around smoothly and quickly.” 

With each goal the team’s energy continued to grow, leading them to scoring their 10th goal with just under two minutes left to play in the second half resulting in the end of the game. 

“I was very proud of the seniors for playing hard and working together to finish out the game,” junior Logan Pierce said. 

Just as it has with every other sport, COVID-19 has posed an obstacle for the team this season and precautions have had to be put into place. 

“COVID has made this season difficult because we aren’t supposed to be in large groups without masks,” Pierce said. “We all have to be very careful so we don’t get shut down.” 

After not having a season last year because of COVID-19, the team is excited to have the opportunity to play again. Head coach Stephen Cummins is also excited to be back on the field each day with his team. He looks forward to “helping them improve on the field, and watching them grow as human beings” and says that he feels blessed to be with “such a talented group” and that they make life much easier. 

However, the team has not let the distractions of this year get to them and have their sights set on big goals for the season. 

“Our team goal, of course, is to get that ring baby because we have such a great chance at winning it all this year with a really talented and passionate group of girls,” Schwarz said.