Counselor, students offer advice amidst change to distance learning

Natalie Edmonds

As students, faculty, and staff transition to the new “distance learning” program, everyone is discovering ways to adjust to the new normal, though the change in environment can cause confusion, Sophomore Counselor and Director of Health and Wellness Rebecca Damron-Whitehead has some tips to make it easier. 

With all the changes happening so rapidly, the most important thing is to establish some sort of routine.

“We’re biologically habitual creatures,” Damron-Whitehead said.  “It is even more important during times of stress and unpredictability that we establish structure for ourselves.” 

Some students have already seen a positive change in their new environment because of a routine. 

“I struggled to adjust to the first week of distance learning with all the chaos and new system”,” junior Emily McDougall said. “Now, I wake up at eight, start schoolwork at nine, and work until noon. I’ll do yoga or walk the dog to take a break.”

Finding time to take a break and relax is also highly recommended. 

“I’ve been spending a lot of time with my grandma,” senior Johanna Dunkel said. “We’ve been planting lots of flowers and doing yard work, and finding anything to fix up around the house, as well as tie-dying and other crafts.”

Damron-Whitehead also recommends finding a creative way to spend the extra time that everyone now has. “Breaks are absolutely necessary,” Damron-Whitehead said. “We can’t stay plugged in all the time. We need to get outside, exercise, bake, learn new hobbies, etc. Do ALL the things you never thought you’d have time for.” 

Breaks are absolutely necessary. We can’t stay plugged in all the time. Do all the things you never thought you’d have time for.

— Rebecca Damron-Whitehead, Sophomore Wellness Counselor

Schoolwork can be stressful enough in person, and even more without that student-teacher interaction that can be taken for granted, she said. 

“Give yourself time to try new learning methods and find what suits your learning style best,” Damron-Whitehead said. “If your new approach fails, be sure to let your teacher know, as they’ll probably have a little extra grace and compassion in this process.”.

McDougall also acknowledged that this new classroom setting is less than ideal. 

“I really miss being in the classroom and being able to ask questions face to face,” McDougall said. “Zoom has been so helpful though. I use it for most of my classes and even to chat with my friends.”

Every morning at 9:15 a.m., Damron-Whitehead hosts her “daily intentions” Instagram Live videos on the @bmchswellness Instagram page. In these, she gives students and fellow faculty members advice on how to transition to being isolated and to keep a safe mental health. 

“I wake up at 9 o’clock so I don’t miss her video, and then I start my day,” Dunkel said. “It’s the best way to get me motivated and awake for what lies ahead.”

Since social distancing is heavily enforced and the school year is indefinitely suspended, human interaction is what some miss most. 

“Our brains respond to digital connections with friends very similarly to how they respond when we’re together in person,” Damron-Whitehead said. “So it makes sense that finding small, simple ways to connect throughout the distance learning process will help us remain engaged and feel a sense of belonging.”