StuCo prepares for its annual Canned Food Drive

I want students to have that awareness that they have an impact on the lives around them and that it’s important to be a person for others.

— Sabrina Guzman

Almost three months prior, Student Council Chair of Fundraising Sabrina Guzman and Co-Chair Jeffrey Wienecke began preparing for the annual Canned Food Drive (CFD), which kicks off next Monday during the school’s Halloween assembly. 

“There is so much time, effort, and hard work that goes into these first 3 months,” Guzman said. “Jeffrey and I began preparing in August and so much of our lives are dedicated to the CFD that is not seen by the community.” 

This year’s goal is to have 80 percent schoolwide participation, along with 100,000 pounds of canned products collected.

“I want to have that amazing feeling of making an impact on a certain group of people, those who experience food insecurity,” Guzman said. “I want students to have that awareness that they have an impact on the lives around them and that it’s very important to be a person for others.” 

The CFD is an annual tradition at Bishop McGuinness that began in 1987. Each year, StuCo strives to increase student and faculty participation. 

“This year, we are changing up some of the events outside of school that typically happen in the evenings leading up to the CANstruction day/collection day,” StuCo sponsor Susan Smith said. “We are targeting participation, and not just the amount of products collected. Our students and faculty must be aware of their impact just by contributing a small amount.” 

The Canned Food Drive will begin on Oct. 31 and will end on Nov. 18 with the collection occurring later in the afternoon. If you would like to contribute, please contact [email protected]